CLEANING IS AN “IN-THING”
“What emerges from within a man, that and nothing else is what makes him impure.” –Mark 7:20
“All these evils come from within and render a man impure.” –Mark 7:23
The source of “acts of fornication, theft, murder, adulterous conduct, greed, maliciousness, deceit, sensuality, envy, blasphemy, arrogance, an obtuse spirit” (Mk 7:21-22) is the impurity inside us. Consequently, it is very important to be cleansed inside and to remain clean inside. This means that:
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation is one of God’s most precious gifts because of its cleansing power.
- The penitential rite at the beginning of Mass is one of the more important moments of our day and life.
- To hear God’s cleansing Word daily is even more necessary than to wash daily (see Eph 5:26; Jn 15:3).
- Fasting, because of its cleansing power, should be highly valued.
- The defilement from most TV programs is intolerable.
- “Dirty language” and “dirty pictures” are aptly named and are worse than living in a garbage can.
- The defilement from unforgiveness must be removed immediately (see Mt 5:25).
Be clean and stay clean – deep inside – and thus be free and holy.
PRAYER: Father, whatever it takes, cleanse the temple of my heart (see Jn 2:15ff).
PROMISE: “The Lord God formed man out of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and so man became a living being.” –Gn 2:7
PRAISE: St. Josephine forgave those who enslaved her and gave herself freely to her Lord.