The month of July is dedicated to The Precious Blood of Jesus. The entire month falls within the liturgical season of Ordinary Time, which is represented by the liturgical color green. This symbol of hope is the color of the sprouting seed and arouses in the faithful the hope of reaping the eternal harvest of heaven, especially the hope of a glorious resurrection. It is used in the offices and Masses of Ordinary Time. The last portion of the liturgical year represents the time of our pilgrimage to heaven during which we hope for reward.
The Holy Father’s Intentions for the Month of July
Lapsed Christians: That our brothers and sisters who have strayed from the faith, through our prayer and witness to the Gospel, may rediscover the merciful closeness of the Lord and the beauty of the Christian life. (See also Apostleship of Prayer International Website)
Feasts for July
The feasts on the General Roman Calendar celebrated during the month of July are:
1. St. Junipero Serra (USA); St. Oliver Plunket,Opt. Mem.
2. Thirteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time,Sunday
3. Thomas the Apostle,Feast
4. Independence Day (USA),Opt. Mem.
5. Anthony Mary of Zaccaria; Elizabeth of Portugal,Opt. Mem.
6. Maria Goretti,Opt. Mem.
9. Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time,Sunday
13. Henry,Opt. Mem.
14. St. Kateri Tekakwitha (USA),Memorial
16. Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time,Sunday
18. Camillus de Lellis (USA),Opt. Mem.
20. Apollinaris,Opt. Mem.
21. Lawrence of Brindisi,Opt. Mem.
22. Mary Magdalene,Memorial
23. Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time,Sunday
24. Sharbel (Charbel) Makhloof,Opt. Mem.
26. Joachim and Anne,Memorial
30. Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time,Sunday
31. Ignatius of Loyola,Memorial
Focus of the Liturgy
The Gospel readings for the four Sundays in July 2017 are taken from St. Matthew — all are from Year A, Cycle 1.
July 2nd – 13th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Jesus says, “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me”.
July 9th – 14th Sunday of Ordinary Time
In this Gospel Jesus tells us, “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.”
July 16th – 15th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Jesus tells the parable of the sower.
July 23rd – 16th Sunday of Ordinary Time
The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard see.
July 30th – 17th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Jesus says the kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field.