LOVE LOVE HIMSELF
“I love You, O Lord, my Strength.” –Psalm 18:2
Listen to the Mass Readings
Jesus revealed that the two greatest commandments were about loving God and our neighbor (Mt 22:37-39). Jesus maintained that His mission was to show us the Father’s love (Jn 15:9). He commanded us to love even our enemies (Mt 5:44). Jesus said that we would be recognized as His disciples because of our “love for one another” (Jn 13:35). Finally, Jesus laid down His life for us when He died on the cross. “There is no greater love than this” (Jn 15:13).
The first Christians began to understand Jesus’ life of love. They came to realize that:
- God the Father “so loved the world that He gave His only Son” (Jn 3:16).
- “Love never fails” (1 Cor 13:8).
- Without love, we are nothing (1 Cor 13:2).
- “Love covers a multitude of sins” (1 Pt 4:8).
- Love is greater than even faith or hope (1 Cor 13:13).
- “The love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit” (Rm 5:5).
Finally, the early Church came to the awesome conclusion that “God is Love, and he who abides in Love abides in God, and God in him” (1 Jn 4:16; see 1 Jn 4:8). Love Love Himself.
PRAYER: Father, may the love of Christ impel us (2 Cor 5:14) to make disciples of all nations (Mt 28:19).
PROMISE: “The word of the Lord has echoed forth from you resoundingly.” –1 Thes 1:8
PRAISE: Praise Jesus of Nazareth (Mk 10:47), Son of David (Mk 10:47, 48), Rabboni (Mk 10:51), “the Resurrection and the Life” (Jn 11:25), Lord, and God!