NOT A WORRY IN THE WORLD?
“Stop worrying, then, over questions like, ‘What are we to eat, or what are we to drink, or what are we to wear?’ ” –Matthew 6:31
Many people today are learning about stress management. The Lord wants to do better than that. He teaches us stress banishment. He commands us: “Do not worry about your livelihood, what you are to eat or drink or use for clothing” (Mt 6:25, 31). Jesus questions us: “Which of you by worrying can add a moment to his life-span?” (Mt 6:27) He commands us again: “Enough, then, of worrying about tomorrow” (Mt 6:34).
How can we obey Jesus’ commands to stop worrying?
- Serve only one master, that is, God (Mt 6:24).
- “Give yourself to God” alone (Mt 6:24).
- “Look at the birds in the sky” (Mt 6:26).
- “Learn a lesson from the way the wild flowers grow” (Mt 6:28).
- Believe in your heavenly Father (Mt 6:32).
- “Seek first His kingship over you, His way of holiness, and all these things will be given you besides” (Mt 6:33).
Instead of worrying, give your life to Jesus.
PRAYER: Father, give me Your “peace, which is beyond all understanding” (Phil 4:7).
PROMISE: “Enough, then, of worrying about tomorrow. Let tomorrow take care of itself.” —Mt 6:34
PRAISE: Mark gives generously to the poor, whether he has much or not so much.