“WHAT IS TRUTH?” (see Jn 18:38)
“I have written you these things about those who try to deceive you.” –1 John 2:26
“Who is the liar?” (1 Jn 2:22) Satan is “the father of lies…the truth is not in him” (Jn 8:44). Our secular culture believes the lies Satan is constantly feeding them:
- You won’t go to hell; there is no hell. In fact there is no sin. If it feels good, do it.
- Sexual acts outside of marriage are not a sin; everyone does them.
- Marriage is not just between one man and one woman and “same-sex” marriage is legal, therefore, it’s not sinful and actually it’s right. In fact, you are hateful and intolerant to hold any other viewpoint.
- A fetus is just a blob of tissue – aborting it is no different than cutting off a mole from your skin.
- It’s not a grave sin to skip Mass on Sundays and Holy Days. All of your friends only go on Christmas and Easter.
There are many similar deceptions, falsehoods, and outright lies.
St. Paul cried when thinking of the “savage wolves” who would deceive his Christian flock (Acts 20:29, 31). Countless martyrs died for the truths that the Church teaches. If these truths were not important, why would people give their lives to defend them? If sin was no big deal, why did Jesus die for our sins?
Jesus, “the Truth” (Jn 14:6), “came into the world…to testify to the truth” (Jn 18:37). Learn what the Catholic Church teaches, for it guards the truth. “The truth will set you free” (Jn 8:32).
PRAYER: Father, may I act “only for the sake of the truth” (2 Cor 13:8) and thus make straight Your way in the world (Jn 1:23).
PROMISE: “He Himself made us a promise and the promise is no less than this: eternal life.” –1 Jn 2:25
PRAISE: Sts. Basil and Gregory were hermits who were both led to become great teachers.