“COME TO THE FEAST” (Mt 22:4)
“He will destroy death forever.” –Isaiah 25:8
Listen to the Mass Readings
Fifteen years ago this week, I received a phone call informing me that Father Al Lauer, founder and long-time author of One Bread, One Body, died. Father Al had been suffering from cancer of the liver. That same morning, Mass was celebrated in Father’s bedroom. The Word of God came to life in that Mass as today’s Scripture readings, which were also proclaimed in 2002 in the repeating Sunday liturgical cycle, proclaimed the glorious future that would lie in store for this dying, saintly man of faith. On his last day on earth, Father heard the Word of God promise him:
- “I shall dwell in the house of the Lord” (Ps 23:6).
- “On that day it will be said:’Behold our God, to Whom we looked to save us! This is the Lord for Whom we looked; let us rejoice and be glad that He has saved us!’ ” (Is 25:9)
- “Tell those who were invited, See, I have My dinner prepared!…Everything is ready. Come to the feast” (Mt 22:4).
- “My God in turn will supply your needs fully, in a way worthy of His magnificent riches in Christ Jesus. All glory to our God and Father for unending ages!” (Phil 4:19-20)
- “Happy now are the dead who die in the Lord! The Spirit added, ‘Yes, they shall find rest from their labors, for their good works accompany them’ ” (Rv 14:13). Father’s motto in his parish ministry was: “Fix your eyes on Jesus” (Heb 3:1). We rejoice to know that Father Al’s eyes are forever fixed on Jesus!
PRAYER: Father, grant eternal rest to the soul of Father Al Lauer and to all the souls of the faithful departed.
PROMISE: “The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. In verdant pastures He gives me repose; beside restful waters He leads me; He refreshes my soul.” –Ps 23:1-3
PRAISE: Glory and honor to You, Lord Jesus Christ!