THE WORD OF LIFE
“Do not continue in ignorance, but try to discern the will of the Lord.” –Ephesians 5:17
St. Jerome asserted: “Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ” (Catechism, 133). If we are ignorant of Christ, we will not discern the will of the Lord (Eph 5:17). This means we will not make “the most of the present opportunity” (Eph 5:16). But through knowledge of the Scriptures and through good discernment of God’s will, we are saved from a futile (see 1 Pt 1:18), vain (see Eccl 1:2) existence.
- “Keep this book of the law on your lips. Recite it by day and by night, that you may observe carefully all that is written in it; then you will successfully attain your goal” (Jos 1:8).
- Let the law of the Lord be your joy, and study God’s law day and night (see Ps 1:2).
- Devour God’s words and make them the joy and happiness of your heart (Jer 15:16).
- Abide in God’s Word (Jn 8:31).
- Devote yourself to the apostles’ teaching (Acts 2:42).
- Each day study the Scriptures (Acts 17:11).
- Preach God’s Word and “stay with this task whether convenient or inconvenient – correcting, reproving, appealing – constantly teaching and never losing patience” (2 Tm 4:2).
- How precious is God’s Word! Love, live, and proclaim His Word.
PRAYER: Father, may I daily read and joyfully obey Your Word.
PROMISE: “I Myself am the Living Bread come down from heaven. If anyone eats this bread he shall live forever; the bread I will give is My flesh, for the life of the world.” –Jn 6:51
PRAISE: Praise You, risen Jesus! You are the Living Word, the Word of Life. All glory be to You forever!